Tuesday, March 4, 2008

This is just miserable.

We had our house inspection yesterday, and the pest inspection. I swear, everything that could be wrong with this house, is. The roof is sagging, it has both dry wood and subterranean termites (I didn't even know there was sub-t!) the septic is for shit (literally!) and needs new leach lines and possibly a new tank, there's fungus growth around the edges of the roof from lack of gutters, the roof needs replacing, a "vapor barrier" needs to be installed in the crawlspace, etc. etc.
We thought about it overnight, then after my infusion this morning when ttk left, I sat down and started thinking this through, and I realized: I AM NOT UP TO THIS.
There is so much work that needs to be done before we could move in--at least 50-100 THOUSAND dollars--so why not spend more money and get an already fixed and nice house, that we can move into when escrow closes?
We told ourselves that if there were major problems we would just walk away--and I think that we need to acknowledge that now is the time. It feels like we have put so much work into this already, but realistically it's been a week. 5 days. We can find another house. I KNOW we can. We love the location so much, but the house is in miserable condition.
Are we going to have regrets if we walk away? Yes.
But I don't have the strength to manage a house rebuild, while ttk commutes and is gone most of the time.
For the love of God, Montresor!

We are going to talk more tonight--I juts talked to him on the phone and he is going to call our real estate ladies and put a hold on the next inspection.

No comments: