Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let them eat crow...

We just had a weird thing happen...lots of noise in the coop this morning, early, and I came out to find a very dead crow. Neck was broken. It wasn't there last night/dusk, and from the chicken's behavior when they woke up, it was there at that time, so sometime between dusk and dawn (sounds like a bad movie--oh wait, it is!) something killed the crow but then didn't eat it. It wasn't a juvenile, either. The chickens were VERY disturbed by it--there was a large live crow cawing like mad from the tree near the coop, and everyone was in a tizzy. The crows come down and eat the eggs, and kill chicks, so I went out to run it off, and that's when I found its dead buddy.

Kinda sad, because I like crows--had a pet one, when I was a kid: my uncle had found a baby that had fallen out of its nest near his work, and brought it to my mom. We kept it inside and fed it wet dog food every time we walked by, and when he had his first solo flight attempt across the kitchen my uncle got us a HUGE cage from Mexico, and we moved Caw outside...then we started leaving the cage open, and he would hang out in the cage, and then fly around the yard, and then come down and land on you.

It was so cool to bring friends over after school, and when we got to my street I would throw my arm up and yell, "CAW! CAW!" and this huge black bird would come flying down off a tree or telephone pole and land on my arm. So much fun!

Wow, off down memory lane, there...

Anyway, you know my penchant for skulls? I had ttk cut the head off and I gave it to my beetles...who instantly swarmed it and are doing an efficient job of cleaning it for me.
And you thought those things were just gecko food...

No comments: