Monday, September 4, 2006

Chai...Masala Chai

Chai means Tea in Hindi.
SO know that you sound like a dork ordering a Venti Chai Tea Latte...try to learn what the terms mean, okay?

Chai = Tea
Masala = Spice
Garam = Pungent/Hot/Fiery

A great site I found whilst trying to find a recipe for Masala Chai is a hindi translation page: http://www.wordanywhere.com/.

So anyway...
If you do a search for a chai recipe you will find about a thousand different versions...basically, it's black tea boiled with a combination of spices--usually cardamom, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, and cloves. Let's not forget some sugar/sweetness, to bring out the robustness of the spices...

Since it's all about taste, and everyone has a slightly different spice preference level, you pretty much are left with personal trial and error to get to a spicy chai you like...

As I brewed my chai today, TTK had to bail to the front yard to get away from the profuse aroma--he went into a severe headache reaction...when he tried my chai last week, his tummy got so upset he had to take Pepto.
To me, the house smells heavenly...

I think I used too much cardamom, though--it's easy to do since cardamom is so powerful if it's fresh.

No comments: